This healthy smoothie is not only delicious—it also boosts your daily dose of anti-inflammatory foods. It starts with a base of creamy gut-friendly kefir and includes cherries, which can lower the inflammatory marker C-reactive protein.
Heart-healthy fats in avocado, almond butter and chia seeds deliver additional anti-inflammatory compounds to the body, while spinach offers a mix of antioxidants that sweep up harmful free radicals. Fresh ginger adds zing, plus a compound called gingerol, which preliminary studies suggest may improve inflammatory markers of heart disease if consumed daily.
- 1 cup plain low-fat kefir
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- ½ cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup mashed ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon salted almond butter
- 1 ( ½ inch) piece peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds, plus more for garnish
- Place kefir in a blender. Add cherries, spinach, avocado, almond butter, ginger and chia seeds; puree until smooth. Pour into a glass; garnish with more chia seeds, if desired.