Grilled Hanger Steak with Stuffed Squash Blossoms & Crispy Onions
Hanger steak is inherently tender and has great flavor.
Here it’s grilled and paired with a side of stuffed squash blossoms that are baked rather than getting the more typical battered-and-fried treatment.
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon anchovy paste
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- ¼ cup toasted fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 medium zucchini (about 12 ounces total), shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- ¼ cup crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 12 squash blossoms
- 1 pound hanger or flank steak, trimmed
- ¼ cup store-bought crispy onions
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine parsley, 2 tablespoons oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, crushed red pepper and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Place zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible. Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until soft but not browned, about 30 seconds. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in crème fraîche, tarragon and cayenne.
- Carefully open squash blossoms without tearing the petals and remove the stamens. If stems are attached, trim to ¼ inch. Stuff each blossom with about 1 tablespoon of the zucchini mixture, gently closing the petals around the filling. Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Season steak with the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bake the squash blossoms until the filling is hot and bubbly, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Slice the steak, top with the onions and the reserved parsley sauce, and serve with the squash blossoms.