Bored with eating the same old salads day after day? We feel you. That’s why we came up with healthy salad ideas for every day of the week. And then we made it better by tossing in this superfood-packed recipe.
First, there’s kale, a nutritional powerhouse thanks to high amounts of iron, fiber, calcium, and vitamins A, C, and K. While the green can turn some people off faster than Usain Bolt can run 100 meters, there’s a secret: Those who hate it may only feel that way because they ate kale that was too tough. The secret to making it more tender—and, in turn, more delicious—is massaging it for a few minutes with a simple oil and vinegar dressing, as that mellows the bitterness a hefty amount. (You can also hide kale in these tasty smoothie recipes.)
This superfood salad also has apples, a seasonal star due to its status as an antioxidant- and fiber-rich fruit. Granny Smiths work particularly well with this recipe, but you can use whatever variety suits your fancy.
Then comes the fun part: pistachio hemp clusters! They’re made by dry-roasting heart-healthy pistachios with hemp hearts, which are loaded with essential fatty acids. You combine that duo with honey and cinnamon, and all of a sudden you’re holding onto a cluster full of deliciousness. Toss ’em in your salad and all of a sudden you have a lunch that’s nowhere near sad status.
Kale & Apple Salad with Pistachio Hemp Clusters
Makes: 2-4 servings
- 1 bunch of kale (around 8 cups when finely chopped)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt + more to taste
- To make the pistachio hemp clusters, first cover a plate with parchment paper. Next, roughly chop the pistachios. Place them in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in the hemp hearts, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Dry roast for 5 minutes, tossing a few times.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the honey into the saucepan, stirring to evenly combine.
- Remove the mixture from heat and transfer to the parchment paper-lined plate. Press the mixture into the plate with a spoon or your hands. Allow it to cool while you prep the rest of the salad.
- Wash the kale and remove its tough stems. Thinly slice the kale, and place it in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by squeezing the lemon juice into a small bowl. Add in the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, remaining honey, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt. Whisk together.
- Pour the dressing on top of the kale. Begin massaging the kale by grabbing a bunch in your hand at a time, squeezing and rubbing it together. Continue to massage the kale for about 5 minutes.
- Finely dice the apple and add to the kale bowl. Add in the crumbled feta cheese.
- Once the hemp/pistachio mixture has cooled, break it off of the plate into clusters, and throw them in the salad. Add sea salt to taste.
- Toss everything together and enjoy immediately.